Parent Education Program: Videos
This part of the Program is a series of video presentations by subject-matter experts.
Today's children exist in a world which requires "21st century skills" which include self-reliance & awareness, critical thinking & decision making and teamwork & collaboration.
These skills emphasize the importance of working both individually and collaboratively to succeed. The development of these skills is the shared responsibility of parents and educators.
Each presentation covers the key elements of one aspect of learning, development or engagement and gives practical suggestions for how parents can support their children.
Click on the presentation titles below to view the video.
A New Look at the Origins & Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder
Dr. Gabor Maté
- Part 1: What is ADD? (9:50 min)
- Part 2: General Principles of Brain Development (15:01 min)
- Part 3: The Impact of the Environment (10:46 min)
- Part 4: How to Promote Development (11:14 min)
- Part 5: Long Term Goals of Development (17:09 min)
Why an Early Start Leads to Long Term Gains
Dr. Clyde Hertzman - Director, Human Early Learning Partnership
- Part 1: Early Child Development (8:48 min)
- Part 2: What Matters in Early Child Development (9:32 min)
- Part 3: The Early Development Instrument (11:42 min)
- Part 4: What Should We Be Doing About Early Child Development (13:37 min)
Emotional and Social Development
Dr. Geoffrey Carr
- Part 1: What is Emotional and Social Development? (6:31 min)
- Part 2: What Contributes to Emotional and Social Development (12:21 min)
- Part 3: Promoting Healthy Emotional and Social Development (43:20 min)
Brain Function and Learning
Dr. Ingrid Price
- Part 1: Core Concepts (4:13 min)
- Part 2: Brain Anatomy (10:07 min)
- Part 3: States of Mind (6:36 min)
- Part 4: Implications for Learning (10:51 min)
Personal Learning Style Preferences